Cabbage is often called names like boring and bland at best, mushy and smelly at worst. NOT in this recipe!!
This recipe elevates cabbage to sweet, tender and crunchy! Adding apple-cider vinegar to the mix brings a shot of brightness. It is enjoyable with sautéed chicken, burgers, rice or as a warm salad with chunks of blue cheese.
The key to the transformation is to follow the simple instructions.
- 1 head of red cabbage (about 2 lbs), cut in half, cored and sliced thinly.
- 2 Tablespoons of Ghee.
- 1 cup chives, chopped into 1 inch pieces.
- 4 fresh chili peppers, chopped.
- 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Soak the cabbage in cold water for 3 minutes, then drain. This reduces the enzymes which produce sulfurous flavors (smelly)! This is a very important step!
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt the ghee over medium high heat, add cabbage and salt. Cover and let it steam for about 5 minutes. (Not Mushy).
- Uncover the cabbage and sauté for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally, this will bring out the natural sweetness of the cabbage.
- Add chives and chili peppers toss to combine.
- Add apple cider vinegar, mix.
- Serve Warm.