Preparation Time: 20 mins, Serves 4.
Fennel is a flowering plant, edible from the seeds to the bulb. Offering many health benefits, it is a delightful, aromatic vegetable.
In this recipe the sautéing and the caramelizing of the fennel causes the anise flavor to fade but concentrates its natural sugars. This side dish compliments sea-food, poultry or on a slice of your favorite bread, garnish with crushed walnuts and serve as a finger food.
- 2 medium bulbs of fennel (about 2lbs), stems and base trimmed, julienne into 1/4 inch strips.
- 1 tablespoon minced fennel fronds for garnish.
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly.
- 2 tablespoons of ghee.
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano.
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, chopped.
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
- Heat ghee in a large non-stick skillet, over medium high heat.
- Add fennel strips and sauté until lightly colored, about 5 mins, stir occasionally.
- Add red onion, oregano, chili pepper and salt, sauté until lightly brown and tender for about 10 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and allow to caramelize for about 5 minutes.
Garnish and serve warm.